Be happy, eat cake!
I made these beautiful little bites at the weekend after this Emma Forbes recipe was recommended to me. These coconut macaroons were the simplest thing to make, literally taking about 10-15 minutes from having the bare ingredients to them being in the oven!
I decorated mine with pretty edible glitter and dipped the bottoms in pink strawberry chocolate! You could keep them plain or use any flavour chocolate for this.
Ingredients (makes 16-20)
3 egg whites
100g caster sugar
300g unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: chocolate and edible glitter
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line the baking tray with greaseproof paper
2. Whisk three egg whites in a bowl until they’re all broken and combined
3. Add the caster sugar and whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy
4. Add the coconut and vanilla and continue to mix until fully combined
5. Take a spoon and form small balls of the mixture (about 2 inches in diameter or larger if you prefer)
6. Place the balls evenly spaced on the greaseproof paper and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
7. Transfer them (keeping them on the grease proof paper) onto a wire rack to cool
If you are decorating the macaroons…
7. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl. With a teaspoon in one hand, dip the base of the macaroons one by one and scrape the chocolate off the very bottom to avoid excess chocolate melting out under the macaroons. Place them one by one back onto the greaseproof paper to cool (some of them I experimented and dolloped the chocolate on top as you can see in the photos – although I prefer the look of the chocolate on the bottom)
9. When they’re all done, sprinkle the tops with edible glitter!
These are a perfect thing to make with children – and when decorated in this way would look great for little girls parties!