Be happy, eat cake!
The other day I bought some Maple Syrup, and then it suddenly hit me what a scrumptious cupcake flavour that would be! I found a really good recipe from the Primrose Bakery for basic maple cupcakes and added a few extra bits – pecans, dates and spices!
They kinda taste like toffee cupcakes… really light and quite sweet, with a soft crunch from the pecans.
I’ll definitely be making these again soon!
Ingredients (makes 24 cupcakes or 12 in muffin cases):
180g self raising flour
50g soft brown sugar
160ml maple syrup
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
60g pecans (plus extra for decorating if you want)
50g stoned dates
tablespoon vanilla extract
Ginger Maple Frosting ingredients for 24 cupcakes:
500g icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp ground ginger (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 180C and line your cupcake tray with cases
2. Select the best looking pecans to put aside (if you are using any for decorating). Chop the 60g of pecans and the dates for the mixture and leave to one side
3. Beat the butter and sugar together
4. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract
5. Beat in the eggs, one by one
6. Sift in half of the flour and mix in, then add chopped pecans and spices and the remaining flour
7. Spoon the mixture evenly between the cases, filling them up to half way
8. Put them in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes
1. Put the butter in a bowl and beat until creamy and there are no lumps
2. Add three tablespoons of maple syrup one by one, mixing well between each dose so as not to curdle the mixture
3. Sift in the icing sugar and ginger, bit by bit, adding the last two spoons of the maple syrup in turn until fully incorporated