Be happy, eat cake!
I made these to celebrate my best friends 20th birthday earlier this month. She loves all cake so I really wasn’t sure what kind to make until I remembered how much she loves Orange Creams… so I thought I would whip up a zesty recipe for some mini orange cream cupcakes.
The simple recipe I made, whipped up 33 mini cupcakes in total using this John Lewis silicone mini muffin mould. It would make about 24 normal sized cupcakes or 12 in muffin cases.
200g self raising flour
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1/2 a lemon
60ml orange juice
1 tsp baking powder
tsp vanilla extract
Optional – 3-4 tsp orange food colouring (depending on your preference)
Frosting Ingredients (for decorating 33 mini cupcakes)
400g icing sugar
zest of 1/2 orange
zest of 1/4 lemon
orange food colouring
80ml orange juice
1. Zest 1 orange and 1/2 lemon and leave aside
2. Preheat oven to 180C and line your cupcake tray
3. Beat butter and sugar together until creamy and mix in the orange and lemon zest
4. Add eggs one by one
5. Add vanilla extract and orange juice
6. Add flour and baking powder
7. Spoon the mixture evenly between the cases and bake in the oven. My mini cupcakes took 12 minutes, but for regular sized cupcake I would say check them at about 18-20 minutes.
1. Beat the butter in a bowl until there are no lumps
2. Add the icing sugar, orange, lemon, colouring and juice in turn, being careful not to curdle the mixture when adding the liquids.